The $5 lamp

Rhoda at Southern Hospitality is hosting a garage/yard sale finds. I have to admit I have not garage sailed (is that even a word? it looks funny-I didnt float a garage at sea) in years but thought I’d try it again. and what do you know! I LOVE it! I found this lamp on Saturday- it was marked $2 but since it was for a Kids Summer Camp I paid $5- still well worth it. This lamp screamed spray paint me! spray paint me! and so I did. Here it is in its new home in my dining room. But dont look too close- I bombed on the shade! I thought I was sooooo thrifty & crafty I said to self “I can paint that shade too” ummm no go- It looks great when the light is off- but when its on- you can see ALL my spray marks *le sigh* so I am on the hunt for a nice black shade. Unless any of your crafty gals out there have some ideas of what I could do. I event tried painting the inside of the shade with gold- yeah it made it worse. So for now it will sit and look pretty just like light up. For more great finds go visit Southern Hospitality.
ยซ
ยป

14 thoughts on “The $5 lamp”

1. Amanda, that is so cute! I love those vintage lamps. What about covering it with some other fabric like burlap?? You may be able to spray paint a piece of burlap black & then glue it over the shade. Might work! And it’s cheap.

2. Lauren says:

It’s awesome!!! Good job sissy!

3. abeachcottage says:

hi amanda

so glad i stopped by here from rhodas as i picked up a floor lamp, very vintage, for free about a week ago, anyway I am waiting to paint it white but was wondering if I could paint the shade, now I know not to!

yours look wonderful, fancy getting that for 5 dollars, even if only the lamp

sarah

4. Tammy says:

Beautiful. All you crafty bloggy peeps intimidate me, just a bit. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Christina says:

Great lamp makeover. I’ve tried to paint a shade before with the same problem. I ended up recovering it with thick fabric and it was fine.

6. Amanda, good, I hope you try the burlap. and awww, Kristen was so sweet too. I just wish I had had more time to get to know her better. So glad we met!

7. That is an AMAZING transformation! Who knew brass could be so pretty! ๐Ÿ˜‰

8. june@craftyniche says:

I love how your lamp turned out!

9. Vanessa says:

Love the lamp! What a steal! And about the shade….I had that same great idea to spray paint a shade. I ended up just buying another shade at Goodwill. Sad…because I really liked the chocolate brown one!

10. That looks fabulous…what a difference in the before and after. Nice job!

11. Hi Amanda,
    This is my first visit to your blog. I am a making the rounds via The Nester. Nice new lamp and it looks updated once you painted it. I agree with the others about buying some fabric to cover the shade. I laughed because my Mother in law painted her guest room shades and the same exact thing happened to them last week!
    ~Cathy~

12. Susie Q says:

Lovely. Try putting more coats of paint on the shade…someone left that comment SOMEWHERE around on one of the blogs about painted lampshades..maybe the lamp do over that didn’t come out.

or fabric ;D

13. bedroom decorating says:

Hello
    The $5 lamp
    Enjoyed reading this. Effectively stated and with wonderful timing. Thanks for the great post.