DIY Pillows

So I was strolling through Pottery Barn the other day and saw these really fun sea-life pillows. I fell in love with the SeaHorse one -that was until I saw the $49 price tag-that DOES NOT include the pillow-just the cover.

I carefully put the pillow down and headed to the nearest fabric store. I bought 2 yards of linen-like fabric, some burlap, paint & sea life stencils.

I used the pillows I currently have on my couch- they were gold & red. I cut the fabric to fit the pillow. I then got out my trusty hot glue gun and glued 3 sides and left the 4th open (so I could slide my pillow in)

On one pillow I cut a Star Fish out of the burlap & hot glued it on. On the other 2 I stenciled my sea life and on the 4th I just glued some coordinating trim. I got 4 pillows for under $13!!!! They really lighten up the room and make it a little more “beachy”. Its now making me want to re-cover the couch in a light linen but 3 kids & a white couch = DISASTER in my book. So in the meantime I will just enjoy my “white” pillows.

ยซ
ยป

15 thoughts on “DIY Pillows”

1. Mrs. Petrie says:

$49 for a pillow! What a joke!! Nice job with your adaptation.

2. Adorable! I saw those at PB over the weekend and put them down too. Cute, but seriously…$49? Your’s are very cute and sound simple to make. Great idea ๐Ÿ™‚

-Hayley

3. Leisa @ IdeaMom says:

Oh . . . love this! Shamelessly easy and so inexpensive. And I must say — the fact that you hot-glued them together for a quick redo makes me your biggest fan!!

4. Lisa says:

That is the coolest idea EVER!!! I love when people find ways to recreate super spendy big-name items with their own unique signatures. Those pillows are adorable (and I like them better than the PB ones! ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

5. Those are too stinking cute! Love them!

6. Excellent post! Of course, you have to possess a modicum of artistic talent, creativity and the ability to sew….but those of us who don’t have these things shall live vicariously through you!

7. What a wonderful & smart idea.

I guess, I will try one of this days when am in my feet again.

Thanks for sharing & have a happy w/end.

8. Perfect! How did you get your paint to go on so nicely? I’m gearing up for a stencil-on-fabric project and I’m nervous. I’ve never done it before…but I’m worried the paint may bleed out of the edges of the stencil. Any advice? Thanks for sharing!

9. Kara says:

Those look fabulous! Can’t believe they wanted $49 for just one. Yours are just as cute, and what a huge savings! Great job!

10. Anonymous says:

Hi, you can have a white sofa with kids and pets in the house. Just slipcover or upholster the sofa in Sunbrella “natural” [white] 100% acrylic fabric which runs around $15 a yard. Cleans easily. I like the heavier Sunbrella called “sling” in natural. Have it on two sofas and two chairs and just LOVE it. I call it my “dirty” little decorating secret.

11. Amanda, those are just totally adorable!!

12. Kimba says:

Those are fantastic! Love them!

Kimba

13. mindingmomma says:

I love these pillows! They look great.

14. Erika Ann says:

I love these!! Especially the use of the glue gun!!