Broken Mirror = Good Luck!!

The old saying that a broken mirror brings bad luck- well not today!! I was at a local thrift store today wandering around. While I was there I heard a crash and saw that the store clerk had broken the mirror out of this beautiful antique looking frame. As she was cleaning up the shards of mirror I asked her “so whats the price of this now that the mirror is broken?” She said “oh- its worthless now- how about $5?” Oh yes she did!!! I kept calm trying not to break out into dance right there in the store and told her I would take it off her hands- (tee hee). So here it is. I believe it once was the top to a dressing table- it looks antique to me. I needs some TLC (i.e. spray paint). Its big too, over 35″ wide and 36″ tall. So the question I have for you is: what should I do with it? It looks AMAZING above my fireplace – I called around to get a quote for mirror replacment & they wanted $125! um no thank you. I thought chalk board but my husband would kill me if I put another chalk board in this house. Suggestions?

8 thoughts on “Broken Mirror = Good Luck!!”

1. Ohhhh how lucky! I love love love that!! I think it would be awesome as a chalkboard! I am no help with other ideas though, sorry.

2. Christina says:

Well, my first thought was chalkboard until I got to the part where you said no chalkboards.

A fireplace screen?

I’m sure you will come up with something wonderful.

3. Lauren @ Team Giles says:

Holy bananas! these items FIND YOU now.

4. ChrissyK says:

How about putting some batting on it and cover it with some awesome fabic.. do that criss cross thing with ribbon. And than you can pin up pictures and special keepsakes. Thats my idea.

5. seanymph says:

Layer it with some really pretty fabric and hang a pretty painting on it.

6. i like the idea of a chalk board thing…thinking it could be a menu chart…and i also like the idea cork board keepsake board…

i’m jogging my martha stewart section of my mind to find if it could be of more use…like something decorative…or seasonal (wreath display or something)…or some sort of outdoor decorative piece. get back to you.

7. Sonnie says:

I say just hang onto it for the time being and let the idea come to you and eventually you’ll know exactly what to do with it. It’s such a great piece, please don’t make a chalkboard out of it!

8. Anonymous says:

Add a beautiful wallpaper to the middle of it and then frame your monogram in the middle with an antique frame.