Stair Makeover

After seeing Southern Hospitality’s stair makeover here and Centsational Girls re-do here. I wanted to tackle mine. I was a little chicken at first and tried it out on my fireplace mantle here– after chanting to myself “I can do it”, “I can do it”, I attacked the stairs. Oh my-lanta! what a chore-all those little spindles, sanding, taping, and re-taping (dont ask). But I am proud to say it is done and I love it!

It is amazing how the white wood now pops against the espresso. And the two things I could not have done this project without is: 1: Gel Stain!! once you’ve tried the Gel you will NEVER want to use that runny, drippy regular stain again. This stuff is like pudding! and spreads like butter! 2: The Octo-Sander (be still my heart)

this baby gets in all those little cracks, angles and crevices. It cut my sanding time in half and saved on achy arms.

Here are some befores and afters:

ยซ
ยป

20 thoughts on “Stair Makeover”

1. It looks AMAZING!! Way to go, girl!

2. Fantastic!! You did good!! Way to be brave.

3. wow, this looks FANTASTIC! The dark wood POPS and it just looks beautiful! I’ll keep that gel stain in mind. And now I might have a new tool to add to my christmas wish list, too! ๐Ÿ™‚ Great job!!

4. DeeDee says:

OMgosh! What job…you did great I bet you are so pround and you should be..beautiful additon to your houme..

5. Tina says:

That’s awesome!! Feel free to come here and do mine any time ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Oooh, love the stairs now!! I would love to do that to mine!
    And thanks for your info on the Kingwood sale. I’m actually down in SW Houston, Sugar Land, so it would still be a hike up there…but who knows!! thanks for the info!

Suzanne

7. Keisha Lynn says:

WOW… they look amazing!!!

8. beautiful!
    thanks for telling us about that sander!
    gail

9. Stephanie says:

It looks great! I really admired Censational Girl’s staircase and have been wanting to do my own, but like you I am so scared. Seeing yours gives me a bit more courage. Thanks!

10. Amanda says:

You did a great job! It looks fantastic!

11. What a huge difference – totally worth all the work. It looks fantastic.

12. Oh wow! That’s beautiful. I actually have this on my to do list. Thanks for the tip on the Octo Sander…ooh that’s just fun to say “Octo Sander”…hee, hee.

13. Carla says:

That looks so great! What a huge difference that dark wood color makes. Great Job.

14. It looks so great!! Im going to tackle that same project, very soon. Im nervous, but this post made me feel empowered!

15. Wow, Amanda, I missed this one! It looks fantastic, I absolutely adore it. You really started with light blonde wood & what a difference it is. Gorgeous!

16. Amanda, it’s stunning ! Truly. It went from okay to over the top modern, crisp, and absolutely beautiful. I am so impressed. You should be so proud of yourself, for tackling such a labor intensive project, mastering that sander, and falling in love with Gel stain. Well done lady. Big high five to you. Absolutely wonderful. And more than just beauty, you added value to your home. Be proud. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kate

17. Sharon says:

Beautiful job. The staircase just pops now … great contrast.

18. I LOVE your staircase! (And your ENTIRE house!) What a difference from the before picture!

You have inspired me to get back into the garage/estate sale-ing circuit…I used to go years ago. It’s time. ๐Ÿ˜‰

19. Cara says:

Your stair makeover looks amazing! I have this on my list of things to do, but I’m putting it off big time because it just seems so tricky. I’m very inspired now to tackle my own, and I’ll definitely be checking out the gel stain! You have a beautiful house.

20. Oh my beautiful – simply beautiful!!!

Chelsea