Easy Ikea Desk

I have been meaning for months to show you how I created my glass desk for my office.  Its not that exciting of a DIY- just a little tweaking with a can of spray paint.

I bought a pair of these trestle table legs from Ikea

Because the black finish did nothing for my office- I grabbed a can of my favorite gold spray paint from Valspar:

For the table top I used the glass from this GoodWill coffee table:

I will say its not the sturdiest desk, but it works for now until I can spend a little more money on something more substantial.

And stay tuned- Im not done tweaking this office-I just ordered something from WestElm thats going to make this room even better (I hope).

18 thoughts on “Easy Ikea Desk”

1. Jeannie says:

I love this look! I just found a table on the side of the road that is beautiful. I already have the glass. I’m just waiting to clear some space to start working on it. I saw one at pottery barn that was of course, super expensive. I love yours! Wish we had an ikea around here!

2. Whitney says:

Wonderful idea! I am in love with trestle desks, but just like you I need a quick, temporary fix while we settle into our new house and buy “more important furniture”! Plus…I have a very similar rug to the one in your office that I picked up from Garden Ridge. Thanks

3. Wow! I just stumbled upon your blog and I love it!

4. Love those legs. The gold is beautiful and I think a bright pop of color would look fantastic as well. Can’t wait to see what else is up your sleeve. My office is a work in progress as well- window treatments are next on my list!

5. love the new gold paint with the pink chair…very chic!

6. clever girl!!!! i love it!

7. elaine says:

looks wonderful! Great job.

8. Great idea Amanda. It’s a perfect look for your office. I love everything at West Elm right now, so I’m really looking forward to seeing your new addition!

9. What an inspiring idea! The desk looks fantastic in your office. I think it would make a stunning entry table, too.

10. This is the least looking ikea thing I have ever seen! I love it and still love your office! Excited to see what you picked up from West Elm.. they have such good stuff there now! {hugs}

11. It`s a good and wonderful idea! I like it!

12. Brooke says:

AH! I love, love, love this! I have the same exact dresser with overlays as well, except I left mine white…different overlays…I’m loving your GOLD! Wish I could have done that for my bedroom, but the hubby wanted to keep it simple…check mine out here: decorgreat.blogspot.com/2011/12/around-my-home.html

brilliant office!

13. Oh neat! I love simple solutions! Looks awesome.

14. Bauer Family says:

I love your office! Do you mind sharing where you purchased your rug?

15. I love this Amanda, it looks like an expensive, custom piece. Such a great idea!

16. This is awesome!! Super inspiring….looking for something similar for a guest room. Hmmmm

17. Lovely job but I do have a question. I am building a desk for my home office and this trestle on IKEA states that it is 27 1/2 inches which seems a bit low. How do you find the height of the desk?

18. Glam at Home says:

I love your office. I posted it on my blog today!