Horizontal Stripe Drapery

We’ve all seen them, we all love them (well maybe not everyone) but they are beautiful!  Horizontal striped drapery make a statement to any room. My Pinterest board is loaded with inspirational photos of these beauties.

Source: hgtv.com via Amanda on Pinterest

Source: bhg.com via Amanda on Pinterest

But when it came time to search for a pair of these I always came up empty handed.  Yes I could get them custom made-but for a price.  I was quoted prices ranging from $170 a panel (which was not too bad considering) all the way up to $400 a panel! So whats a girl to do when she’s on a budget?  Enter West Elm………
I received their Spring catalog and low and behold what did my little eyes spy:

A horizontal stripe shower curtain!

Now I needed drapery panels not a shower curtain- but the lightbulb went off in my head (while I was sitting in the car line waiting to pick up my daughter) and I said why not cut one up and add to it!!!!  So I quickly grabbed my pen-did a few calculations and decided I would only need 3 shower curtains- one for each panel and one to cut up and add length.  AND they were on sale!!  BONUS!!!

They arrived last week:

I only needed two stripes extra for each panel- so I decided to cut from both the top and the bottom of the extra curtain- that way I didnt have to hem anything-cuz Im lazy like that–and I cant hem a straight line to save my soul.

I put right sides together and sewed em up! Now I am not a crazy seamstress- I do know a little about sewing, but this project is really a no brainer- If I can do it-you can too!

And here they are!

Not too shabby for $90!  I even have left over fabric to make a pillow if I wanted.  The only down side of this is there are only two colors of this curtain- the grey & white and a citron & white.

Linking to:

Weekend Bloggy Reading

50 thoughts on “Horizontal Stripe Drapery”

1. You are genius!! I’m ordering mine today– I, too, have been on the hunt for ages for these. Marvelous. Thanks!!!

2. Maury Kilgo says:

Brilliant! I’ve been wanting to make ones in green and white for our guest bedroom!

3. OK…I am so in love with that! I’m never going to look at shower curtains the same way again.

And I can’t sew to save my life, so I’ll be bringing them to YOUR house!!! Haha!

4. Perfect! They look so beautiful and are the perfect addition to your office, Amanda!

5. Not too shabby at all! They look perfect in your office!

6. What a fabulous idea…and they look even more fabulous in your office! Thanks for sharing this “think outside the box” solution!

7. Jessie says:

I love your unconventional idea and your new curtains look great! It’s perfect in your beautiful home office!

8. cerniks says:

LOVE it! I have been looking at this shower curtain…and I was disappointed because all of our showers have curtains already. But you just gave me a fabulous idea! 😉

9. DebbieTibbs says:

The curtains look great. You inspire me to get to my sewing machine :)

10. Great idea Amanda! They look so pretty!

11. You go girl! Beautiful – and I love ‘how’ and ‘when’ you got the idea. Isn’t that the best!
    Thank you for sharing… I need to think this over and figure out where my house is asking for these?

12. Stacy Curran says:

You. Are. Amazing. I have tried things like this before, but them come out a mess. You, on the other hand, executed perfectly. Love them!!!!!

13. You are a genious!!! I too have tons of inspirational pictures and tutorials saved for horizontal striped curtains. I actually was thinking of painting gray stripes on some Ikea or Target curtains, but this would be so much easier and faster. Thanks for the ah-mazing tip!!

14. Glad I am not the only person who can’t get a straight hem to save my life! HA! I have been having my eye on these forever! I LOVE them! And at a fantastic price point!

15. Now I see what you’ve been up to. As you know, love the horizontal stripes!

16. Abi says:

LOVE the stripes.. and esp. from your pics, I’d never be able to tell you added panels

17. Hi Amanda! New to reading your blog! Love the horizontal stripes – I am a big fan on walls and these curtains are so great! Yours look great!

18. Shelly@ConfettiStyle says:

Fab idea that turned out great. The drapes are a wonderful addition to your already stylish office. Thanks for the inspiration.

19. Brilliant! What a great idea. They look amazing!!

20. designchic says:

They look amazing. I have silk horizontal stripe drapes in my guestroom, and I they are my favorites!!

21. You have great style! This was the perfect addition to your office!

22. Anonymous says:

These are absolutely ahhh-mazing and exactly what i have been looking for, for my sons room. I have one question though, when closed do they completely block out light?

I absolutely love your blog, so inspirational

23. Rachellabelle Interiors says:

I love the horizontal stripes. Wow, your office just keeps getting better and better.

24. Georgeous! Well done.

25. LisaMende says:

Very clever!!! I might have to do this for a project I’m working on that has a budget!

26. a' la mode says:

YOU DID A FAB JOB. go girl. looks amazing. xoxo shel

27. Yes!!! I have been considering doing the same thing for our future home! I figured it was the most economical way of doing it. Looks amazing!!

28. You did a great job! I have been looking for striped curtains for a while and I just couldn’t spend $400 for them. This is a great idea. I think I might do the same. Thanks for the inspiration.

29. Brooke @ Inside-Out Design says:

They look amazing!! Such a great idea! I almost used shower curtains as “curtains” not too long ago, and was thinking about piecing some together to make them longer- so glad to get a clear idea of how to do it and make it work! The stripes look fabulous and so does the rest of your room! I’m so following you :)

30. Elle says:

This is genius — and I love, love, love how they turned out! Yay for West Elm and yay for you. :)

31. The gray is perfect for your room! Love it!

32. SHERRY HART says:

Brilliant! I love some good stripe panels…..they look great.

33. Kerri says:

SO funny. I did the same thing – ordered the gray/white striped shower curtains from West Elm – just a few weeks ago – inspired by one of the same photos you have in your post (the orange striped beauties)!!

34. Chic Coles says:

These are amazing! I love the curtains and I love the dresser with the gold! Just found your blog and i’m your newest follower!

35. Elfya says:

Gorgeous! I wonder if the last two strips could have been added with double sided sticky tape for fabric as well. I am just the worst seamstress!

What a great idea this is!

36. Elfya says:

And I just saw the frame on the left side of the curtains! How cute!!!!

37. I’m posting on my curtains tomorrow finally! Will be mentioning you! Thank you for your help.

38. cookinghaven says:

I love this look. I want to do the same for my bedroom. How did you attach the curtains to the rod though? Curtain hooks? Did you sew a pocket? Add Grommets? I’m at a stand still!

39. GHaven says:

40. Stephanie Wolfe says:

Wow! What a perfect solution. I have had the same experience. The beautiful fabric I found would have cost me over 400.00 to buy let alone have made by somebody else; I wouldn’t have wanted to wreck that silk by doing it myself! I Love the look and since it may just be a trend, the cotton is PERFECT!! Thanks for helping me find my vision!

41. Anonymous says:

How did you hang them? I’d like to try this, but don’t want rings on a rod.

42. doordiy says:

I love how your curtains turned out! It was such an inspiration for me in my own striped curtain DIY. I’m not much of a sewer though so I painted the stripes. It turned out great and I love the gray/white color combo. Just wanted to let you know that I featured your final curtains as inspiration on my own blog post. Thanks for sharing this DIY with us!

43. Renee says:

I’m going to attempt this! I’m curious how you hung them. Did you just add rings as you would have done to hang it from a shower rod?

44. Stephanie Wolfe says:

Love love love your idea. I just got mine today. Just curious…with all the options out there, how did you decide to fasten them to the rod. Did you use drapery tape or grommets?? Thanks for the help!

45. Anonymous says:

I would also like to know how you hung them on the rod? A response would greatly be appreciated:)

1. Amanda says:

they are hung with ring clips

46. TX Hazens says:

I have been looking for and at striped curtains! What a great solution. I’m going to go measure my windows and order some today! (Not to mention looking at other shower curtains to see what I can do with them!)

47. Holly Hobby says:

I love this so much I am doing it!

I have a question, though. I purchased 5 shower curtains, planning to cut up the fifth one. I just read your directions, but I’m confused. How did you cut from the top AND the bottom? The bottom gray stripe is noticeably wider than the top gray stripe. Can you just not tell because they are dragging the floor? And did you cut the bottom gray stripe off before you sewed the extra panels on? From your picture it looks like you’re sewing 3 panels on.

Thanks for explaining!

1. Amanda says:

Hi Holly- basically I used 3 curtains. The 3rd I cut one grey & white section from the top and one grey & white section from the bottom. Of course the top gray & white section I cut has the holes in it for rings-but its really not noticeable. For the section I cut from the top- I did have to hem it to match the other panel. The other option (if you only need a a grey & white section just cut from the middle-you’ll have to hem the bottoms to hide the unfinished edge you cut. Does that make sense? Im not the best at tutorials but hope this helped. I had a friend who made the same ones and here is her tutorial: hypheninteriors.com/2012/05/how-to-make-striped-curtains.html she explains it better.

48. Kaitlyn says:

How did you attach the shower curtain to the rod?