What to do with that red sofa…

Im helping a client with her home remodel and we are soon moving onto the living room once all the flooring is installed.  While her dream is to have all new furnishings (isnt that true for all of us)- its just not an option right now.  So we are trying to incorporate her red sofa into the room while trying to make a serene, light and airy space.  Several years ago when red and gold and heavy dark furnishings were all the rage (I like to call it the Tuscan Tango)- you saw many red sofas.  Now mind you- I am not against red at all-its just a very bossy color and can really demand lots of attention in your room.  Knowing how to use it sparingly is key.

You could get This:  (my apologies to the owner of this room- I mean no harm)

Or This:
Via: Decor Pad

I created this mood board to show her how we could incorporate the red sofa along with some lighter colors and furnishings.

We are still tweaking this board a bit- she is wanting to add some blue in the mix- similar to the inspiration photo above and maybe tone down the rug.  But we are definitely headed in the right direction.  So what about you? do you have a bossy red sofa your trying to decorate around? or worse– hubbys big green barcalounger?

15 thoughts on “What to do with that red sofa…”

1. Simply LKJ says:

Love the mood board you created. We have a bossy red dresser in our family room. I have a love hate relationship with it!!

2. How about hub’s big red leather recliner? I moved it to the garage while he was hunting a couple of weekends ago. :) Love your inspiration photo– you’re definitely headed in the right direction!

3. I think red is so tricky! I remember a while back it seems that everyone had a red accent wall in their home! I love your inspiration photo and the mood board you created, I think it’s a great balance and the red couch isn’t taking over!

4. I had a “red” phase a few years ago, but we have decided to part with our red sofa and sell it. Love your inspiration board; especially the rug, we’re using it in our family room.

5. Michelle says:

Can you tell me where you found the horizontal striped curtains? Or are they made by sewing two vertical striped panels together and turning them?

6. I think this is smart! I love the natural graphics against the red sofa! Yes is can be bossy… but also very pretty!

7. love the combos of color and pattern in your moodboard. for my basement reno, i am trying to avoid a bossy red sofa, but i need that pop of color. i’m hoping to do with a fun rug or some chairs, not commit to a whole sofa.

8. Michaela says:

It looks awesome! I’m loving the pop of red with other patterns and prints!

9. If I did have a bossy red sofa I know exactly who I’d call! :) Beautiful inspiration photo and board!

10. Nat says:

I love your inspiration board! I didn’t have a big bossy red sofa but my husband had these awful old camel leather sofas when we first got married it took forever for me to convince him how awful they were so for the first year or so I had to decorate around them!

11. Jenn Thomas says:

I am guilty of a red obsession! No red sofas, but my son has a red crib, I have a red credenza in my master, and I JUST redid my living room and left pops of red because I could not part with it. I think I have made it work well, but I may need a red-intervention!

12. Stacy Curran says:

Perfect Amanda — you’ll definitely get number 2 and not number 1 with that board. I love it, and I am so not a fan or red!

13. Your plan looks beautiful! Where are the drapes from?

14. Those bossy red sofa’s cause such trouble, but your plan looks perfect to me. I really like the idea of mixing in the lighter finished woods. It feels more modern than a dark finish with the red.

15. diane says:

I feel your pain. I had a client a couple of year ago with TWO red sofas we had to keep…hubby loved them. We worked them into the room with some luscious fabrics on the bar stools, side chairs etc but, fortunately, they now see the light and are in the market for something a bit more neutral.

I love red but dont think it is a good idea on a large and expensive piece that will be around for a while like a sofa…better in small doses.

Look forward to seeing your final ideas…love what you have come up with with black and white and graphic touches.