Ceiling fans…..what to do when you hate them but need them

I was recently working with a client who wanted their space to reflect their style with chic sophistication, but were stumped with how to decorate around their much needed ceiling fan.  Living here in the South unfortunately comes with the need for a ceiling fan- or for those of us who have husbands who “must” have their “white noise”.  So how do you design a beautiful space with the dreaded fan overhead?

Tips for designing with ceiling fans

1: Camouflage:  By choosing a simple all white fan to blend in with your ceiling, the fan itself becomes useful, but not an eye sore.

Source

Source
Source

2: Choose a fan without a light kit.  No one looks good in a room with a bright overhead ceiling light blasting down on them.  If you need additional overhead lighting place them around or near the fan:

Source
Source
Source

Source

3: Choose a unique fan that becomes a statement in the room itself:

So what about you, do you have a love/hate relationship with a ceiling fan in your home?

8 thoughts on “Ceiling fans…..what to do when you hate them but need them”

1. Mrs. DeVore says:

If it were up to me I’d get rid of all the fans in our home b/c I’m freezing all the time anyway, but I have to keep them around for the hubby. Great tips!

2. René says:

Great tips Amanda! We have to have them in Greensboro. Wish the builders read your blog – they hang those heavy wood stained fans with light kits in every room. Yuck!

3. Jamie says:

it’s the light kits! they’re so bad!! builders. yes. they LURVEEE the ceiling fan/ light kit combo, it’s cheaper. ugh. i hate this issue. it’d be nice to have a nice chandy in the bedroom rather than a fan, but we’re stuck with it as long as we’re in houston.

4. Debbie says:

Fans are so essential! Not only do they help you not have the a/c on constantly, but they help move around the heated air in the winter. They should be in every room in every house. I don’t understand why there aren’t more, prettier options out there. Designers should always add them to their lamp lines.

The ones you have here are great!

5. Cyndy Aldred says:

Yep, gotta have them in Texas for sure! Love your round up Amanda and I have been noticing the last year that ceiling fans are really evolving and there are some beautiful ones that can really compliment.

6. Jessi says:

Thanks for the tips! I’m in the process of decorating our new home…which will have 5 ceiling fans! Love the idea of the ones with no light kit. We never turn them on anyway!

Best,
    Jessi

7. SHERRY HART says:

Well….sometimes it is a battle with clients that can’t be won. I don’t have any in my house but I do have a cheap box fan that I use at night. The good thing is I can put it away in my closet….which you can’t do with a ceiling fan:)

8. I live in the mid-altantic south and ceiling fans are a must. We recently replaced our HVAC upstairs unit with a super high efficiency unit and I thought that perhaps with the latest and greatest A/C we might be able to go without fans … nope. The irony is, as HVAC units become more efficient that means that run / circulate air less; there’s lots of reasons to have air moving in addition to simply maintaining a cool temp, so I actually think fans might become even more necessary!? Anyway …. I have a pr of matching fans in a room with a cathedral ceiling and will replace them with much more “there but not seen fans” when one of them quits working but in the meantime I tried to remove the light kit and the way ours are designed couldn’t, so instead I added a drum shade and diffuser to the fan and brought it more into the style of the room rather than a 15 yr old “mistake”. Overall, its much better this way than before and I can take my time looking for a perfect replacement. I’ve posted a tutorial on my blog for securely attaching a drum shade.