Green painted chest with brass hardware: A before & after

After two weeks of DIY-hell, I finally finished painting my living room chest.  I am not a patient person and waiting a full 24-hrs between coats of paint does not make for a happy Amanda.  I was gently nudged and encouraged by my dear friend Cyndy to tackle this myself and I have to be honest it felt good to follow through with it.

Here is the BEFORE:
This was a piece I had purchased years ago from a local yard sale.  I originally sanded it down to applied a grey stain to it- but the dull green undertones drove me crazy.

And here she is AFTER:

I even got a wild hair to paint the inside gold- it unfortunately does not photograph a well.

Paint- Behr Pine Scent mixed at SW in Acrylic Latex Pro Classics lines
Inside Paint- Rustoleum Gold Paint
Hardware- Liz’s Antique Harware
Lamps- Visual Comfort
Black shades- Ballard Designs
Coral- HomeGoods

23 thoughts on “Green painted chest with brass hardware: A before & after”

1. says:

beautiful update. love the color, and the knobs make it so much more modern. it was worth the wait!

2. Cyndy Aldred says:

It is so amazing Amanda and I’m so glad that you did it! You’re stronger for it right? The finish is so perfect and I can’t wait to see it all pulled together in that room. So, you ready for your next piece? Ha! Great job girl!!

3. René says:

It looks great Amanda! Your initial post on instagram cracked me up :).

4. Nancy says:

Much better! and the gold inside is a nice surprise. :)

5. SO fabulous! Could we get a shot of the entire room, pretty please :) I know it has to be gorgeous! The gold inside is icing on the cake!

1. Amanda says:

Thanks Pam! Soon! I’m still working on a few things in the space, I feel like I’ve been working on this room forever!!

6. gorgeous color! and love the new hardware… and yes rest of the room please! 😉

1. Amanda says:

Thanks girl! I hope to have professional photos of the space soon! My photo skills and sad.

7. I can’t tell you how happy this piece makes me, and it’s not even mine! :) The transformation is terrific! That is the exact color I painted my vintage china cabinet. Doesn’t it make you stop and take notice? I LOVE the gold on the inside. I’m going to have to pick up a can of that and try it on something!

8. Oh no! You’ve got my wheels turning. I’ve got a similar piece that could use an update. Looks great! I’m proud of you!

9. SHERRY HART says:

Whew….glad you made it through paint hell in the Texas heat!!! Cause it looks awesome!!! Now what is the pillow decision???

10. Mrs. DeVore says:

Wow! What a transformation, it doesn’t even look like the same piece!

11. Patty says:

It looks fab, Amanda! I saw a similar chest painted with a beautiful green, like yours, in the September issue of HGTV. Thanks for keeping me inspired and my “to-do” ever so long!

12. Super fun! I love it when people take the time to paint the inside of the cabinets! The green is fab! I am thinking about using the same color for a stencil in my entryway!!

13. It looks gorgeous! You did such a great job! Xoxo

14. Sita says:

It is a beautiful piece. You know the gold interior makes my heart go pitter patter! I am not a patient painter either, so I completely sympathize with you! Great job, friend. Can’t wait to see your finished space!

15. Love the punch of that green color combined with the brass. It matches my new Kate Spade purse!

16. Love that green – it makes the brass pop! Gorgeous!

17. DesignedByBH says:

Wow! You did a great job! I seriously had to look at the original and the finished several times to even believe that it was the same piece! Love the color, too. :)

18. Julia Konya says:

Gorgeous, every single detail!

19. Laney Reusch says:

Looks AMAZING!!! How inspiring! Love the gold and green together!!!!

20. Brandi says:

I love the new color, Amanda! I’ve been using a lot of green in my home too lately. Such a fun accent color. I like that you added gold on the inside too. So fun to meet you at Haven!!

21. Hardware is killer… you’re so good with green. What are your favorite go tos when it comes to that color?